Become a Volunteer
Every layer within a hospital contributes to its success and we invite you to become part of our team. Use your time, passion and willingness to help make a difference at a hospital/organization that supports its community. You don’t need any special skills to talk to a patient or assist a department. You can volunteer as much or as little as your schedule allows. We’ll find a volunteer position that fits your interests and your schedule.
Volunteers at Speare Memorial Hospital must:
- Be at least 14 years of age
- Be able to commit to a minimum of 30 volunteer hours during their first year. We are able to accommodate vacations and seasonal residents
- Applications for summer volunteerism must be received by May 1st or there is no guarantee for placement
- Uphold the highest level of confidentiality and customer service
- Complete an Application Form specifying interest and ability and submit it to the Student and Volunteer Services Coordinator. After reviewing your application, we will contact you to schedule an interview. During this meeting we will review current openings and volunteer requirements.
If both parties agree to move forward, we will:
- Conduct a criminal background check
- Request documentation for immunity to: Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Rubella, Chickenpox, Hepatitis B and a flu shot from December through April (we can provide free of charge)
- Perform a tuberculosis (TB) skin test (free of charge)
- Schedule a general orientation where you will acquire your SMH photo ID and obtain your uniform
- Determine if any additional follow-up steps are required (i.e. meeting with a member of the department where you will be volunteering and/or training schedule)